What Is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative dentistry refers to dental procedures that prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental and oral health problems. The goal is to prevent the need for restorative procedures and keep the natural teeth healthy and in place.
Benefits of Preventative Dentistry
Preventative dentistry provides many benefits for patients:
- Healthier teeth. Preventative dentistry removes plaque and calculus from your teeth that would otherwise cause decay. Your teeth stay healthy and your enamel stays strong to resist decay.
- Healthier mouth. Healthy teeth that are free of plaque and calculus reduces the risk of developing gum disease or other soft tissue conditions.
- Early detection of health risks. Preventative dentistry includes diagnostics such as X-Rays that detect cavities, soft tissue abnormalities, and other potential problems so that they can be more successfully treated.
- Better looking smile. When your teeth are clean and healthy your smile looks healthier and more attractive.
- Fresher breath. A clean mouth means fresher breath. Tooth decay and gum disease can cause bad breath that can only be improved with treatment.
We provide the following preventative dental services:
- Teeth cleaning. We provide thorough teeth cleaning to remove plaque and calculus and polish the teeth until they are smooth and less susceptible to decay.
- Comprehensive oral examination. We will perform a thorough examination of your teeth, mouth, jaw, head, and neck to identify any potential problems that may need to be addressed.
- X-Rays. We take digital X-Rays once a year, or more often if needed, to identify potential problems that are not immediately visible.
- Fluoride treatments. We apply fluoride treatments to strengthen tooth enamel to make it more resistant to decay.
- Sealants. When one or more teeth are at risk for decay, dental sealants can be applied to even out the tooth surface to reduce the risk.
Why Choose College Street Smiles?
We take preventative dentistry seriously because we believe that preserving your natural teeth is best for your dental and oral health. Taking preventative measures can prevent the need for more in depth dental treatment to repair decayed teeth. It can also save teeth before it is too late and they can only be extracted and replaced. Replacement teeth are a possibility, but it comes at a cost.
If you have avoided regular dental visits due to fear or anxiety, we understand. We will do our best to make you feel comfortable during your visits to our office, potentially with the assistance of sedation if necessary to help you feel calm and relaxed. Our patients are always the center of our focus as we strive to improve your experience in every way possible.